Sunday, January 10, 2010

Fattest Possum

It seems like most of the people who venture into unknown cultural territory are in it for the money.

Matthew Johnson may not have been in it for the money only. He claims that he wanted to bring recognition to a group of blues artists. But, of course, what good is recognition without the money?

People seeking fame (for themselves or, in Matthew Johnson's case, other people) puzzle me. I'm not really sure why it's important for an individual to gain "recognition" in the world. There are a lot of people who I recognize and they do really terrible things. I wish I didn't recognize them at all. So why was Mr. Johnson so keen to get the music out?

The guys were old. Practically knockin' on heaven's door. That's a lot of promotion to do in such a small amount of time.

Personally, if I were an old blues guitarist (ah, me...in another lifetime) I wouldn't want some motivated college boy getting on my back about tour dates and doctor appointments. I'd just want to sit and play and drink.

But then again, there is the money. I could afford nice things and supply for my family. I get to see places I've never been. Money would be great.

I don't need a tomb full of records and concert ticket stubs. Just get me my money while I'm still alive.

And please,
See that my grave is kept clean.

2 comments:

  1. There's always the problem of agents profiting from the talents and products of deceased artists. Matthew was upfront about wanting the men to be able to see their music find a wider audience and make some money. Is the world a better place for knowing of this music and these men?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess you can take the greater good argument if you want...

    ReplyDelete