Thursday, March 18, 2010

Duet

The performance is over, but this project is not. The actual result was a little too glitchy for my liking, so I'm pushing to have this on my senior composition recital to work out the kinks. The basic problem was in the glasses: those damned things have been giving me trouble from the start. The feedback increased way too fast because the patch I built was getting signals from the glasses at the wrong times. BLAH.

However, my goal was accomplished. I gave people an experience they'd never had. Now if I can execute it perfectly, it might even provoke some thought as well. But at least I made some magic.

To sum up what I did throughout this course:

a) I downloaded and cut down clips from "A Girl's Guide to 21st Century Sex," a British mini-series. I removed only the shots taken from inside the vagina and ame up with exactly 3 minutes of footage. Here's the show:

bgcolor="#ffffff" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" flashvars="fullscreen=true&file=http://www.atrapavideox.com/video/getflv/318730/video.flv&link=http://www.atrapavideox.com/es/video/vervideo/318730/a-girls-guide-to-21st-century-sex&plugins=drelated-1,ltas&midroll=4156&channel=4156&enablejs=true&drelated.dposition=bottom&drelated.dtarget=_self&drelated.dskin=http://www.atrapavideox.com/player/skins/drelated_grayskin.swf&drelated.dxmlpath=http://www.atrapavideox.com/video/relacionados/318730/info.xml&title=a-girls-guide-to-21st-century-sex&description=a-girls-guide-to-21st-century-sex&image=http://st5.xhamster.com/t/789/2_b_87789.jpg" />




b) I worked with John Mayrose to put together this Max patch:

the counter is for the performers (Chris Dorn and Elyse Lucas). In the top left are the "start" and "end" buttons. The inputs can be seen in a row on the top and the green boxes below those are the sensors that recognized signal from the 1/4" cable and the contact mics.

c) I put together the domestic scene with plates, glasses, silverware, tablecloth and meatloaf all included. Chris, Elyse and I had a few rehearsals (without too much glitch) before finally putting on the show last night:


I wrote in the course evaluations for the course that it represents everything I thought I would be getting when I signed on for four years of a liberal arts education. Freedom of expression, inspiration, and expert guidance. Thank you John and Julie for giving me an experience I've never had.

1 comment:

  1. I am shamelessly promoting/ spamming my website. Any chance you could add this to your blogroll so I can move my site up to the top of the google search. Thanks.

    www.zachary-becker.com

    ReplyDelete